
Ange Postecoglou makes Nottingham Forest admission as he cracks joke at his own expense
Former Tottenham boss Ange Postecoglou has poked fun at his own brief Nottingham Forest tenure.
Postecoglou became the first Tottenham manager to lead the club to trophy success since 2008 when Spurs won the Europa League last May.
Despite ending the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium outfit’s long wait for silverware, the Australian was sacked as he paid the price for their poor Premier League form.
Postecoglou criticised Tottenham in an explosive interview last Thursday and now a short clip has surfaced on The Overlap of him ribbing himself about his ill-fated Forest stint.
The ex-Celtic boss lasted just eight games in all competitions at City Ground earlier this season but it seems he is doing his best to see the funny side of it.
Ange Postecoglou teases assessment on Nottingham Forest stint
Postecoglou was sacked by Tottenham last June, with Brentford boss Thomas Frank replacing him shortly after.
The Australian guided Spurs to a 17th-place finish in the Premier League as their sole focus turned to winning the Europa League.
The former Australian national team boss spent two seasons in charge at Tottenham but lasted just under six weeks at Forest as owner Evangelos Marinakis pulled the plug on his stint last October.

Postecoglou signed a two year deal with the Tricky Trees so he would have received a sizeable pay-out for his short work at the club. And so far, it seems he isn’t too bitter about the whole affair.
He said in the short preview clip on Stick to Football, “There’s not much to talk about the Forest thing because this programme will last longer than my tenure.”
The full episode will be out on Thursday morning, with a deep dive on Postecoglou’s career likely to follow.
- Read more: Ange Postecoglou humiliates Tottenham board in fresh vindicated dig – ‘He’s cooking ENIC’
Postecoglou’s Tottenham criticisms ring true
Hot on the heels of Frank being sacked by Tottenham, the Stick to Football crew spoke to Postecoglou about that and the club itself.
In a candid interview, the 60-year-old was quick to praise Tottenham’s “unbelievable” facilities but said the club’s financial limitations prevented them from signing the likes of Pedro Neto, Bryan Mbeumo, Marc Guehi and Antoine Semenyo in 2024.
Postecoglou also opined that Tottenham were “not a big club” when it came to player wages.
“When you look at their expenditure and particularly their wages structure, they’re not a big club,” he said. “I saw that because, when we were trying to sign players, we weren’t in the market for those players.”

Postecoglou also said that wherever you go at Tottenham, the club’s adage, “To do is to dare,” is all over the place. However, their actions are the “antithesis” of this.
He added, “I think they didn’t realise that, to actually win, you’ve got to take some risks. I felt like Tottenham as a club were saying, ‘we’re one of the big boys’, and the reality is I don’t think they are.”
Now, Tottenham are in a similar mess in the league this season. They are 16th and just five points above the relegation zone. Maybe Postecoglou shouldn’t have been sacked after all.
For more news and insight on Tottenham, check out Football Insider now